Home » all the posts » Are Cleaning Products Flammable?

Are Cleaning Products Flammable?

Are Cleaning Products Flammable?
Are Cleaning Products Flammable?

The next time you reach for a cleaning product, make sure you’re thinking about the flammability of that product.

Cleaning products can be hazardous if mismanaged; some are even flammable. The Consumer Product Safety Commission contains information on the flammability ratings of several everyday cleaning products and what to do if these items ignite or cause a fire in your house.

Are Cleaning Products Flammable?

A cleaning product is a substance used to make something clean, like a countertop or a window. A lot of these products contain chemicals that make them work better. Chemicals help make things happen in the world, but they can also be dangerous if you eat them or breathe them in too much.

Most cleaning products are flammable, which means they can catch on fire when exposed to heat or flame. Some products are more flammable than others; some won’t burn.

Some cleaners also contain corrosives, which can damage your skin and eyes when you touch them with your hands (or rub them into your face).

These chemicals may also irritate if inhaled repeatedly over time. Many people use aerosols around their homes every day for years without realizing how harmful the chemical ingredients might be for themselves or their families. We all need to pay attention here.

Ammonia and other cleaners.

You may be surprised to learn that ammonia is flammable. It’s also corrosive, which means it can cause damage to human tissue, as well as other materials.

Avoid getting it in your eyes or on your skin. It can irritate and even burn you. On the bright side, ammonia is used for cleaning glass and mirrors (and it’s a great way to get stains out of clothing).

Alcohol-based products are flammable.

Alcohol-based products are flammable.

Many people use alcohol to clean their homes, for example, as part of a window cleaning solution or as a disinfectant for surfaces. Alcohol is also used in many other products, including hand sanitizers and mouthwashes. But it can be dangerous if you don’t follow the directions on the label carefully.

The bleach cleaning solution is corrosive.

Bleach is a caustic chemical that can result in the following:

  • Skin irritation.
  • Eye irritation.
  • Respiratory tract irritation.
  • Gastrointestinal irritation (including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea).

Bleach may also cause central nervous system depression (a loss of alertness), kidney damage, and liver damage when ingested in large amounts over time or repeated exposure to small amounts over long periods (such as using bleach to clean the house frequently).

Fabric softeners should be used with care.

Fabric softeners should be used with care. They’re not compatible with all fabrics, and even when they don’t damage a garment, they can still dull the fibers, change their color, or make it look spotted or dull.

Fabric softeners are flammable and should never be left around open flames (such as in a fireplace). If you use fabric softener on clothes that you plan to dry clean, be aware that the chemicals in the fabric softener may make your dry cleaner’s job more difficult than usual. They might need more time or extra chemicals to clean your clothes properly.


If you want to clean your house without worrying about it catching fire, try vinegar.

Vinegar is naturally anti-microbial and non-toxic, so it can be used on almost any surface without causing damage to either yourself or your home. It also has a fantastic smell that will leave your house smelling fresh and clean!

Add comment